In February, Protest Plays issued a call to action on gun control for the months of March and April in support of the Women’s March #Enough Walkout on March 14, the #MarchForOurLives march on D.C. on March 24, and the National School Walkout on April 20. Twenty-five theatremakers answered the call, presenting 25 different registered readings and productions!
You can still take theatrical action on gun control in your communities! We suggest the following resources for #GunControlPlays:
- Caridad Svich and NoPassport, Theater J and force/collision have two amazing collections of plays: 24 Gun Control Plays and AFTER ORLANDO
- Check out The Every 28 Hours Plays – organized by Claudia Alick
- Playwrights Say Never Again, a new collection of plays inspired by school shootings, is available via THIS LINK.
- Playwright C.J. Ehrlich has assembled an anthology of plays written by multiple playwrights in response to gun violence. It is called CODE RED and is available HERE.
- You can also work with artists in your own networks to compose your own, original #TheatreActionGunControl event
Opening our theater spaces to support the children, teachers, and activists engaging in these important protest events is the least we can do. Please join us in creating space for stories to be told and dialogue to be fostered in support of Gun Reform!
The following #GunControl plays are available on the New Play Exchange. Playwrights maintain copyright on all plays. Please contact playwrights directly for queries regarding readings/productions.